Saturday, October 21, 2006

Another Gay Out Of The Closet

R J HeltonFormer American Idol finalist RJ Helton has admitted he is gay.
Helton, 25, made the revelation Friday on Larry Flick’s “OutQ in the Morning” show on SIRIUS Satellite Radio.
The singer, who was in the top five of season one of American Idol, was asked why he has stopped performing Christian music since his 2004 album Real Life.
“I can have a faith but can’t be who I want to be, so a lot of it was just personal things I needed to overcome and just be proud of who I was,” Helton said.
“Just because I am gay does not mean I can’t love God.”
Helton said he wasn’t planning to open up publicly about his sexuality. “I’ve never even said that. It feels good. I’m just really comfortable with who I am now.
“I’m very proud of who I am.”
Helton is the second Idol competitor to come out of the closet. Jim Verraros, a top 10 finalist in season one, is also openly gay. Since Idol, the 23-year-old has released a dance CD and starred in the gay-themed comedy Eating Out and its sequel.
Season three runner-up Clay Aiken has also been dogged by speculation about his sexuality. He recently told ABC’s Diane Sawyer: “It's one thing to try to be open and talk to people and try to share as much as I can and, and of course I want to. But at some point it becomes just really rude, you know? I don't understand why it's any of your business.”
from The Montreal Gazette

No comments:

Post a Comment