Thursday, May 24, 2007

Priest On Gay Web Site

Gay
An Irish Catholic priest has received a leave of absence from his parish assignment in the Killaloe diocese after a tabloid newspaper revealed that he had been active on a homosexual internet site.
Father Michael Hogan issued a statement saying that he was "deeply ashamed" by the revelations about his "indiscretions in relation to my vow of celibacy." "I acknowledge that these are serious matters that affect me on a personal level and in my vocation and ministry," the priest said. " I am immediately requesting my bishop to grant me time away from my ministry so that I might deal for myself with these issues."
Killaloe's Bishop Willie Walsh also issued his own statement on May 23, saying: "Father Michael has asked me for a period of time out, from his ministry, in order to reflect on his position. I have accepted this request."
"We, as priests, are committed to living celibate lives," Bishop Walsh said. "We are not, however, immune from struggles in many areas of our lives including our sexuality. We take consolation that Jesus, while condemning the sin, did not stand in judgment on the sinner."
from Catholic World News

No comments:

Post a Comment