Friday, July 29, 2005

Easy but good Salsa






I have yet to find a store bought salsa that I like. I have quite a few different recipes that I make, but this is the one I make at least once a week. There is not much food that I eat without some (a lot) of salsa. This recipe uses mostly canned ingredients. That's what makes it easy. I share another recipe at a latter time that uses fresh ingredients.





10 Embasa or Ortega whole green chilies (1/2 of a 26oz. can)
1- 28oz can Hunt's petite diced tomatoes
2- 4oz cans Ortega diced jalapenos (1 can for a milder salsa)
2 cloves garlic
6 to 8 green onions
salt and pepper to taste
celantro (optional)

Use a large bowl.
Dice the whole green chilies and add them and 1/2 of the juice from the can into the bowl.
Add the diced tomatoes and diced jalapenos and their juice
Mince garlic
Finely chop green onions, both green and white parts
Salt and pepper

Combine all of these ingredients. Be sure to taste to see if you have added enough salt and pepper. It's ready to eat now, but will be even better if it sits for an hour. Put some in a smaller serving bowl and top with some chopped celantro. Mixture will keep better if stored in the refrigerator without the celantro mixed in, so add it as you use it.

Brands that I use:
The Ortega diced jalapenos are quick and easy. I mostly use the Embasa whole jalapenos in the 26oz can and dice them. The extra I put in a plastic bags in the freezer and use for next time.
The Hunt's petite diced tomatoes are good. I don't have the brand handy for the ones I use, but it comes in a restaurant size can and the tomatoes are diced and roasted. I really like these. The can is too large for most people, but I use the extra in other recipes during the week.
You can get diced green chilies from Ortega, but I find them to be to mushy. Buy the whole ones from any brand and dice them.





No comments:

Post a Comment