Saturday, October 8, 2005

Mark Feehily Relieved To Be Openly Gay, Westlife Stronger

WestlifeUNITED KINGDOM - Gay Westlife star Mark Feehily kept his sexuality a secret from his bandmates for five years because he feared a backlash from fans.
As thousands of fans pledged their love for Mark and the group notched up 12 No.1s, the other members of the best-selling Irish boy band were finally told two years ago that hewas gay.
When the 25-year-old singer finally plucked up the courage to share his secret in 2003, he warned them it could ruin Westlife if it ever became public.
But when Mark finally decided to speak out about his love for partner Kevin McDaid just six weeks ago, the band told him they would support him all the way.
Shane Filan revealed: "Mark is in a relationship and is happy in his life. "We've only known for a couple of years but the decision to go public was all his. It's his personal life so it was all down to him. But it's great that he has come out.
"In the last couple of months, he has been the happiest I've seen him and he's told me he's so happy.
"It's great he can live a normal life like every normal human being.
"It's a huge relief for him not to have to keep his sexuality secret any more.
"Speaking out is something that he has thought about for a while and he is so relieved that it's over.Mark Feehily
"In some ways,he feels it was an anti-climax because people didn't really care that hewas gay."
Kian Egan added: "The most important thing for us was to make sure that Mark was happy and to make sure that everything that happened was in his best interests.
"We didn't care if it harmed the band because it is too important to us that Mark is happy and able to sort out his personal life.
"He rolled with the puncheson it. "There was a rumour that hewas getting married, which was absolutelystupid and nasty. He told us what was going tohappenwhen it hit the papers but it wasn't a big thing to us.
"He brushed that off andhe is very happynowand that's what's important. "The response from the fans has been absolutely amazing.
"They have been so supportive." After seven years together,Westlife will return with a new album, Face To Face, on October 31, a week after the release of new single You Raise MeUp.
The lads also plan to team up with Diana Ross on When You Tell Me That You Love Me as their Christmas single, but admit she didn't even join them in the studio.
Shane said: "It's a great song for our Christmas single. It's an amazing achievement to sing with someone of her stature.
"We recorded the song separately because she was in Los Angeles and isn't coming over until later this month." Kian added: "That's the wayany recording is done these days. Even Westlife have never been in the studio together.You're only in the studio as individuals.
"Things are so advanced with computers these days that Diana's recording was brought over on a hard drive.We added our vocals later."
Another absentee for the album sessions was Shane, who recorded his vocals for the album in advance of the other band members to allow him paternity leave.
He and wife Gillian had a baby girl, Nicole, two months ago.
"Because my wife was having a baby, I recorded the album earlier in the year in Sweden and London," said Shane.
"Then the boys went in recording while I was at home changing nappies. It was different but the only way to do it because I needed to be at home with the baby. "It enabled me to get therecording out of the wayand being a dad is just great.The birth was fantastic but Gillian had to have a C-section because there were a few complications. She was three weeks early.
"I went through all the emotions as I wonderedwhatwas going to happen. "I was like an eight-year-old child with nosweets because I was roaring and crying and I couldn't help myself.
"It wasan amazing experience and I want to experience it a few more times. "Gillian and I are getting on really well and the baby Nicole is a lovely little thing. "It is all flying by really quickly but the last twomonths have been fantastic.
"She is sleeping through the night which is fantastic and she is a really good baby.
"She hardly ever cries, except when she is having a bath or if I'm changing her nappy. I domy share, but if I amup early in the morning Gillian takes that on board, which is great.
"But when I have a day off, it's my duty and I'll beup during the night doing the feeds. I sing the baby to sleep or put on some music for her.
"I'll sing whatever is on the radio at the time. One night she cried for half and hour so I put on some music and sang to her. She fell asleep onmy shoulder.Kevin  McDaid
"It's an amazing feeling.
"Every dad will know it, but it's all new for me and I'm just glad she is healthy and happy.
"The two of them have been home for the last four days and I am finding it quite hard.
"I am missing them badly." Shane believes that the band have learned from Brian McFadden's decision to quit the group last year to spend more time with his family.
Brian, who later split from wife Kerry Katona and is dating Australian singer Delta Goodrem, has hadmixed fortunes as a solo artist. Kian said"We spoke to Brian last week. Hewas in Los Angeles with Delta.We're still very good friends and very close.
"People have been unfair to Brian and that has affected his solo career.
"His music is very good and his album is quite strong.
"It's just unfortunate people disliked himand didn't buy his records because of his personal life rather than the music. "That's a really harsh situation to be in. I feel for the guy in that sense.
"Hopefully he can get his head down, write some great songs and come back and have a successful career."
Shane added: "It'll be harder to be away from Nicole but I can deal with it.
"Brian found it hard, but he just didn't really want to be in Westlife any more or with the four other people as a band.
"For me, I don't think that'll happen. The boys have been so supportive and when I want to be at home to see her, they adjust.
"We all want to behappyand we have learned from what Brian did "We're mates and treat each other like family.We respect each other and that keepsthe band together. The success at the end of it is a big bonus.
from Daily Record

No comments:

Post a Comment